It's not you, I think the web browsing experience is smoother on windows
because screen readers use a flat representation, so they can do things like
read text like a document, not stop at links in text, and so on. I prefer web
browsing on windows, just not enough to sacrifice everything else the mac does
better. I also like the iCloud tabs feature and really easy downloads
interface, just not the actual web browsing experience.

As to first letter navigation, just go to the vo utility, the commanders
category, the quicknav tab, and check the relevant box. Once in a great while
it will still fail, but you can use vo-cmd with many keys to move around if
that happens. Vo-cmd-h, for instance, moves to the next heading.

For edit fields, I find they behave oddly with quicknav on. If that happens, I
just turn it off, type my text, and turn it on if I need it. Between the vo-cmd
keystrokes and the web rotor (vo-u), though, I don't use quicknav much at all
anymore.
On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:15 PM, Kliphton <kliph...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Okay, I bought my first mac june 2011, it was actually a fathers day
>> present.  I went cold turkey for over a month, trying to learn my way around
>> the OS, and how it worked.  Over 18 months later, I'd say I am pretty good,
>> and can even help others.  I know how to inter act with tables, rename
>> documents, open and close folders and apps, and even a few advanced things.
>> My biggest challenge has been safari.  I use the item chooser, and have the
>> things in the rotor that I like to navigate by.  But I still find it a
>> little clunky compared to IE.  I still have to use windows to manage my
>> business, but that's all I use it for, and of course to download torrents.
>> But does anyone have any hints or tips to help me get over this safari hump?
>>  I think my biggest gripe is trying to set up first letter navigation, and
>> trying to inter text in to edit fields.  Other than that, I think I got it.
>> But all suggestions are welcome please!
>>
>> Kliphton Senior
>>
>> (Twitter&Skype) kliphton72
>>
>> (iMessage, facetime&Email) kliph...@gmail.com
>>
>> (Life Journal) Kliphton.wordpress.com
>>
>> (Sharrie’s ScratchPad) missie844.wordpress.com
>>
>> http://facebook.com/kliphandsharrie

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehg...@gmail.com