Hi Alex,

If you search the mail archive for this list you'll find a number of comments
on using group vs. DOM mode, with most people who use group mode stating that
they prefer to do so because navigation is quicker, and that they'll switch to
this mode when visiting familiar web sites.  There do seem to be instances
where group mode can miss elements that show up in DOM mode, which is why
people who use this usually set up as a switchable capability, either under
"Keyboard Commander" or "NumPad Commander" under the commanders menu of
VoiceOver Utility.  I have a keyboard commander definition added for "Toggle
Web navigation DOM or Group", which is found under the web group of menu
options when you add a definition.

As a quick concrete example, try visiting the Mail Archive site for this list
at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/
While I usually go to this page and immediately type terms into the text box,
and then press "return" to search the list archives, I also read the list from
this web page as an alternative to receiving mail when I'm traveling.  The page
shows a threaded list of topics, most recent listed first, with other posts in
the thread grouped under the first.

Let's assume you're using simple arrow navigation with QuickNav on. In DOM mode
navigation you separately navigate the subject link for the post and the
author.  In group mode both these terms are announced together, requiring only
one key press.  Also, if I'm browsing and want to skip over threads, group mode
navigation lets me navigate past a block of posts under the thread with a
single key press, whereas DOM mode takes me through each item under the thread.

Group mode navigation is a feature that can be used to improve efficiency of
navigation, and you can explore your own web sites to determine whether it can
be helpful.  There are many ways to navigate, and you should choose the options
that work best for you.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther