Chris;
I am having both of these issues with my iPhone 4S, running iOS six. I also
tried changing the localization for Siri, for example switching it to the UK
voice. I found that I was additionally having the same volume issue that you
are having.
Related to the notifications, that is very irritating when it occurs. I
typically have to have someone repeat themselves when they are speaking to me
on the phone.

http://empoweringtheblind.com
Empowering the blind, one person at a time.