Hi all,

Many thanks for your helpful responses.

Esther, thanks for the detail on navigating with the mouse - that was going to
be my next question.

I have a couple of follow up questions on your post if that's ok.

Firstly, if I have mouse keys enabled, are there any settings I need to change
in order to get Voiceover to read items under the mouse as I navigate? I took
from your post that there might be, but wasn't sure.

Secondly, when  I turn mouse keys on in Accessibility under System Preferences,
VO spacebar ceases to work, and I wondered why this might be.  I know you said
that mouse keys could create conflicts on laptops, but I don't have numpad
commander enabled.  I was able to rectify the situation by using the trackpad
to unstick the setting, and have just set up the option key as a toggle.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Ed