Hi Ed,

First, here's how to have VO announce what's under your mouse cursor. Open
VoiceOver Utility (VO+F8), go to "Verbosity" (with arrow keys or Command-2),
then select the "Announcements" tab. Check the box for "Speak text under mouse
after delay", then interact with the slider and set the delay to 0 seconds.
Close the window with Command-W. Now if you move your mouse cursor with Mouse
Keys, or if you move your finger along the Trackpad, VO will speak what is
under the mouse.

You can also use your Trackpad to explore your screen this way, and move to
locations independent of navigating to controls that are exposed to VoiceOver,
if you set VoiceOver to speak text under the mouse this way, and turn cursor
tracking off (VO+Shift+F3; but remember to turn it on again with the same
shortcut when you're done; and when you use your Trackpad this way you should
not have Trackpad Commander enabled).

There are other commands that will describe what is under the VoiceOver cursor,
whether or not you you have your verbosity set to speak text under the mouse.
VO+F5 will describe what is under the mouse, while VO+F5+F5 and VO+F5+F5+F5
will describe the x and y pixel coordinates of your mouse cursor (relative to
the top left corner of your screen, or of your window). (If you use these with
Mouse Keys, it can be helpful to lock your VoiceOver keys with VO+semi-colon
before turning Mouse Keys on.  That way you only have to press the F5 key to
report positions.  Again, remember to unlock your VoiceOver keys by pressing
semi-colon when you are done.)

Hope this did not overload you with information.  For many instances, just
using the Trackpad, without necessarily having to use Mouse Keys, may give you
the accessibility that you need. And for information purposes, most controls
and icons on the screen are extended in size, You'll hear VO announce that
element when the mouse cursor is anywhere over the icon.  For example, if you
explore the menu bar icons with Mouse Keys, most of the icons are 30 pixels by
30 pixels in size.  On web pages, some web designers will make the clickable
area large for ease of use.

On your question about VO+space bar, you would normally be able to click, or
Control+Click with mouse or trackpad (for a context menu), to perform any
actions via hardware clicks.  Do you need to use VO+space bar?

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther