Hi Pals, Nokia,

I would be intersted in leading the development of a LGPL/BSD licensed
porting layer of the Qtopia platform for the maemo platform.

Why such a layer is good:
        -Existing applications can be utilized for Maemo by easily migrating
         them to use osso/hildon technology
        -More applications will make hildon/osso more attractive
        -Give developers the choiche to target any platform easily
        -Maemo is a great piece of Free Software and should be supported

How such a port would look like:
        -We would use Qt2/X11 and make it look like the maemo gui
        -We would implement libqpe,libqtopia, libqtopia1, libqtopiapim
          using osso, hildon and Qt2
        -In the future we should use Qt4 but that would require more porting
         of the applications.

What we need:
        -Legal counseling if we can do a clean room implementations and
         how it should look like.
        -Sponsors:
                -People Donating Time to this project
                -People/Companies Donating Money to this project allowing
                people to work on it during office hours (not for myself though)
                -People writing tests and setting up a QA infrastructure
                -People Testing our Work
                -People porting/verifying application work
                -People enjoying using maemo

How should we proceed:
        -We should gather enough people to start this project
        -We should have enough information to start the clean room
         implementation.
        -We should quantify which classes are mostly needed to port
         most of the apps.

if you are interested please email me

        regards holger