ext Andrew Flegg wrote:

> On 5/16/06, Koen Kooi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Andrew Flegg schreef:
> >
> > > Otherwise people'll get upset very quickly when they upgrade and their
> > > favourite app doesn't work!
> >
> > I suggest removing the application catalog wiki page(s) when IT2006 gets
> > released and fill them with apps that are known to work on IT2006.
>
> Interesting idea: the opportunity could also be taken to better structure
> them. The only slight niggle is that with zero third party software, how
> many end-users will NOT upgrade immediately, and still want the old app
> catalogues?

I am of the opinion that everyone MUST be advised to upgrade
Since
- it is a free upgrade
- Maintaining Maemo 1.1 and 2.0 which are incompatible is a big
  problem (proposal is move Maemo 1.1 to archive status)
- It just causes confusion if  Maemo 1.1  and 2.0 applications  start  to
  coexist especially to the end user (Maemo 2.0 Application installer
  would refuse to install anyway)

So I am of the opinion as Koen, to deprecate the Application Catalogue
page and start with a clean slate, and as suggested take the opportunity
to reorganize the new catalogue better.

Remember now the concept of
- click on download link in application catalogue page, browser opens AI, AI
  installer installs WOULD NOT WORK since we moving to full package
management and
  repository structure (Unless off course packages are as self
constained as they
  with Maemo 1.1, but that we all agree is not real package management :).

So we need to come up with the concept of community contrib repository
where the
3rd party applications could be uploaded

Devesh