Carlos Guerreiro wrote:

Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes needed (if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34 kernel directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives us?
If I remember correctly Markku considered this at some point. Markku?

Also when thinking about it, it would be nice to be able to use IT2006 compatible kernel and initfs. As this is hacker edition, dual booting between IT2006 and this one may be worthwile and can be hard with newer kernel. If there is no real reason to go for newer kernel I'd stay with the old one. Old DSP stuff probably depends on DSPGateway version in kernel anyway.

However I am not sure about dsme in initfs and how it interacts with system in rootfs over /tmp/dsmesock. If there is some binary protocol that changed in IT2007 we are out of luck with keeping old initfs and IT2006 compatibility. Although there is this idea I'm playing with for some time - to copy initfs to rootfs (it is small) and let it run chrooted in rootfs (/boot dir seems ideal for this) instead of running from initfs partition and keeping /dev/mtdblock3 open (can even save some RAM in kernel). That way we can have two initfs systems in place and the only thing wee need to share is kernel. Even this could be solved by something like kexec or LAB [1] but this may be complex issue with watchdogs in kernel etc and may make booting longer.

But even with this we may still have dependecies on config partition format and specific version of bootloader.

Frantisek

1. http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HpIpaqH2200LAB