"ext Neil MacLeod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Manually creating /tmp/.run has now resulted in a successful Sardine
> upgrade using the sardine rather than unstable repo.

Ok!  Thanks for persisting! :)

> I still don't think dbus should care whether /var/run physically
> exists or not,

This has nothing to do with dbus, and all with dpkg.  The dbus package
contains a directory /var/run/dbus and dpkg attempts to dutifully
create it.  It fails in an obscure way because of a broken symlink,
however, and produces the misleading error message that the dbus
package contains the same file as some another package that also
happens to contain the /var/run/ directory.  That it happened with
dbus and ssh in your case is a coincidence.

Hacking the dbus package to get over this is ugly and will not solve
the problem.  We would have to put the same ugly hack into all
packages that contain /var/run/.

The right thing is to make sure that the system has a useable
/var/run, always.

> but assuming that isn't going to change it would be worth adding an
> extra step to the Wiki device upgrade instructions mentioning the
> need to "mkdir /tmp/.run" once the copy is completed (and after the
> chroot!)

Yes, that might be acceptable to save a reboot.  But I guess there
might more issues when you chroot.  What about /proc, /sysfs, and
/dev?  I'll have to check the instructions...

> If unstable is synched correctly I'll use unstable in future, though
> it would be nice to understand why we need two Sardine repositories!

Hrmm, yeah, we don't _need_ two repositories.  We only have two right
now because I didn't get around to make the 'sardine' one unneccesary.

The 'unstable' one is the only one we will have in the future.  It
also contains 'testing', for example (which isn't really useful yet).