David,

There are a number of options available to you, but each will depend upon
your requirements.
On the nokia device its not lack of options, but graphical bandwidth: the
display cannot update fast enough to render full screen RGB graphics at
fullspeed without some sort of tearing.

Even before rotating, you may want to examine ways to reduce bandwidth
(lowering resolution is primary).

However if you are willing to try, you could look at the following options
and you may find something which suits you.

The simplest if you are producing an application which just needs to be on
its side is to rotate your assets:
Load in the images at 90degrees and translate coordinates around, but
basically keep the system working as standard on stock hardware.
Depending upon the performance level you hope to achieve this method may not
produce desirable results, but will at least be round the corner.
You should be able to prove pretty quickly if this approach will work for
you with just a quick hunt through your program.

The second is to actually bite the bullet and install a kernel patch to
rotate the display.
This has been seen working by lots of people and whilst requires deeper
system changes makes your coding much simpler (your assets are still laid
out logically)
http://sse2.net/rotate/

A deeper more outlandish method would be to work around the graphics
bandwidth problem by coding yourself a graphics library which is based on
YUV (full resolution greyscale, lower resolution color) and see where it
gets you..

Much like I've started to do:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPp_mE7rwI

Obviously there are other options available, but that pretty much covers
what I have heard about people doing recently.

Have fun

Gary (lcuk on #maemo)