On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 05:36:02PM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> I think my discomfort comes from the weak run-time type checking and the
> verbiage...
>   check.set_active(TRUE);
> seems so much less error prone; especially for people who have to pick up this
> new toolkit (and that's got to be important for attracting developers to Maemo
> and making their early experience pleasant).
>
> I mentioned gtkmm (hopefully not a sensitive topic) a moment ago - what are
> peoples thoughts on that?

Vala is very interesting to me because (1) it's a high-level language
that is (2) compiled to C.  You ought to get all the benefits of, say,
PyGtk (high-levelness, intuitive syntax, no repetetive mucking around
with typecasts) without the disadvantages (high memory usage).

Marius Gedminas
                -- Donald Knuth