On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Murray Cumming <murr...@murrayc.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 23:39 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >         Although new-style Maemo 5 menus with sub-menus are
> >         discouraged, I don't
> >         think they should be forbidden. The current C API makes it
> >         very
> >         difficult to create them because HildonAppMenu is just a grid
> >         container,
> >         not a menu API. But I see no reason for Qt to make the same
> >         mistake.
> >
> >         Of course they would not be displayed as a tree-like menu.
> >
> > To be honest I don't know yet if we will have those menu in Qt too.
> > Currently I can't take other tasks, but if someone is interested in
> > implementing them, he/she is welcome and I'll happy to help him/her in
> > that job.
>
> While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without API
> changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific API such
> as that in HildonWindow:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html

This trick is possible because Maemo applications have menus, toolbars as
any normal
desktop application. Okay they look different, but we can instruct Qt to
give them the looks that
we want...
The same thing happens for the other official supported Qt platforms (mac,
s60 ans so on)

I'm trying to get a general feel for how Qt can stick to its concept of
> multiple platforms without API changes, though Mameo 5 seems to be the
> first Qt platform with a significantly uncommon UI and API.

Actually that's not the fist one...

Best wishes,
Antonio

--