On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 12:25 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:

>         While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without
>         API
>         changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific
>         API such
>         as that in HildonWindow:
>         http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html
>
> This trick is possible because Maemo applications have menus, toolbars
> as any normal
> desktop application. Okay they look different, but we can instruct Qt
> to give them the looks that
> we want...
> The same thing happens for the other official supported Qt platforms
> (mac, s60 ans so on)

Yes, I know that's the Qt philosphy, but repeating it doesn't answer my
question. For instance:

I guess, Qt windows can't usually have markup in their titles, so you'd
be changing the documented behaviour (therefore subtly changing the API)
if you parsed the regular title as markup, instead of offering separate
API:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-markup
(I think that the new API should be added to upstream GTK+ instead
anyway.)

I guess, Qt windows don't usually have a concept of "activated by the
window manager":
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-get-is-topmost
(This is presumably something different than gtk_window_is_active():
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-is-active
)

Also, I doubt that the Qt menu and toolbar API easily supports the idea
of one-single "edit" toolbar, introduced in Maemo 5:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-edit-toolbar

--
murr...@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com