Hi,

first sorry for my late reply. It's a very important subject, but I'm
just too busy right now :(

I like this mockup even more then the color wheel mockup, because I
think it's easier to use. The lines that cross each other at the
selected color gives you good feedback even if your finger obscures half
of the widget.

Also I agree that there might be different use cases and that sometimes
it might be needed to select a color using a numeric value or using some
other form of selection, therefor I also like the idea of switching
selectors. But I think we should start small and get something out of
the door as soon as possible. Adding more selectors later is still
possible

So we could use the palette selector from Thomas as page one and show
the selector you proposed as 'advanced' page. Or we could try to
integrate them a bit tighter.

How about this:
We put the labels for R,G,B and hex color directly into the color
preview. This saves some space and I think white text with black outline
should be readable on every color background. Then we join the palette
selection from Thomas with the selector ideas from you. So we have only
one button which lets us choose between different selectors or different
pallets (which are just a different form of selectors anyways).
Now we have a common frame on the right side and can display the specif
selectors/palettes on the right side.

I bastardized your svg file and hacked in my idea. It doens't look very
nice, but it should transport the idea.

http://zwong.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/color_con1.png
http://zwong.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/color_con2.png

Thoughts?