Hello all,

As part of the plan to fix the PR1.2 SDK dependency issues in the
autobuilder [1], we plan to upgrade the Debian devkit in the Fremantle
autobuilder to the Squeeze version [2] (from the current etch one), and start
using "improved shlibdeps" [3] (a.k.a. .symbols files) to version
dependencies on a much more granular basis (minimal required version of
libraries will be calculated per symbol instead of per library). We plan to
ship .symbols files for most of the SDK libraries [4].

This means that packages built in the PR1.2 SDK using no PR1.2-introduced
functions will work on a PR1.1 device and even on a 1.0 device.

Unfortunately, this approach doesn't include Qt packages as there are more
problems to that, but we hope the Qt API to be more stable in future
releases.

Of course, upgrading to Squeeze _will_ cause compatibility problems to some
packages. We have been rebuilding many of them in a test environment [5, 6]
and analyzed the common issues -- in fact, we have talked to a few
maintainers about those. If your package doesn't build when we move the
autobuilder to Squeeze and you don't know how to fix it, don't hesitate to
ask. We find that most of the compatibility problems are caused by stricter
checks, and that is always a Good Thing (TM).

If you want to swap your local SDK to squeeze, you have to
1. Install the squeeze devkit from [2]
2. Replace debian-etch devkit with debian-squeeze in scratchbox target
3. Inside target, apt-get install maemo-sdk-symbols cdbs man-db dpatch

[1] http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:PR1.2_autobuilder
[2]
http://scratchbox.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/scratchbox-devkit-debian-squeeze_1.0.3_i386.deb
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps