On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Andrew Flegg wrote:

This is not a proper announcement for the SSU, but more of a prerelease
before it's posted on talk.maemo.org, so please,
do not post about this on talk.

That does not sound right. It sounds like you are trying to split this small
community into a few communities.

No, it sounds like getting proper experienced developer feedback when
launching something which has real possibility to lead to a reflash.

How do you expect to get developer's feedback when you distribute binaries without appropriate source? Even if we ignore the GPL violation, it does not make much sense.

What is your goal in setting up this SSU repository?

AIUI (and Mohammad has the full backing of this council member), the
aim is to ensure that the community SSU is up and running to deliver
bug fixes and improvements to Maemo 5 now that Nokia have (most

That's a reasonable and desirable goal.

Which leaves many questions:

How will included improvements be decided?

Will there be an inclusive policy - every improvement that someone is willing to work on will be included - or will there be a gatekeeper that will decide what to include?

Were this issues discussed? Were they decided?

I can imagine a number of ways of getting involved if you want to
help, including carving out a space on wiki.maemo.org to deal
with/document the issues of and around:

 * Release management - how does testing/QA/release work?

Shouldn't this be discussed, before being documented in wiki?

I'd like to thank Mohammad again for his efforts over the last few
months in starting this effort, and continuing with it now that
PR1.3's been released.

Indeed, organizing and distributing is much harder and less fun than actual developing, so we should be thankful for anyone who is willing to do that, so I'll join your thanks to Mohammad, but will add a small request:

Please, don't upload binaries without uploading corresponding source.

--
Matan.