On Thursday, February 15, 2007, at 04:12PM, "Marius Vollmer" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"ext Andy Mulhearn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>> So are you looking to move away from the System Upgrade := reflash
>>> device model? If so, then GOOD!
>>
>> To be honest I prefer this route now, if only from the point of view
>> that if I bork my device I can reflash an image and get it working
>> again.
>
>I am not sure if there will always be flash image for each version of
>the meta package, but there will always be reasonably recent flash
>images so that upgrading from one to the latest 'patch level' should
>not be daunting.

I suppose that depends on how reliable is the incremental flash process. If
it's 100% then there should be no problems with what you suggest.

My only concern would be getting into a Windows XP-like situation where you
reinstall with XP SP1 becaude that's what came with your system and then have
to install SP2 and 100+ hotfixes to get back to where you were.

Microsoft have put a lot of effort into windows update to get around the fact
that they can't redistribute windows CDs where with the N770/N800 we're in the
reverse situation where redistribution of the firmware image is relatively
painless.

It also occurs to me that when you reflash, you know you have to do a backup or
you lose your data. The fact that when you boot for the first time with a fresh
image, the N800 sees the backups and offers to reinstall your settings makes
that a relatively painless process.

But if you can just apply a major firmware upgrade by accepting it in
application manager and you don't think to backup first, what happens it goes
wrong leaving you with an unworkable system?

Andy, voting for both the old and the new approach...