On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 01:49 -0800, ext James Sparenberg wrote:

> Why did they remove the useful tabs and replace it with multiple
> windows?   Given that there is no WM in the traditional sense you
> can't resize and move between them easily.  Tabs afforded the ability
> to quickly manage multiple term windows (my record on the IT is 10
> tabs.) Windows bring this to a grinding halt.

Because the platform style is multiple windows. And tabs wasted quite a
lot of *terminal window* space. Also if you have 10 tabs, you cannot see
pretty much anything relevant from the tab titles. Sure your case of 10
tabs is a bit special too - maybe you could just use "screen" instead?

Multiple windows is consistent with the rest of the platform. I also
think it makes sense for the same reason the browser does not have tabs:
Tabs work a lot better in a large desktop where you can drag windows
around and group some of them together. Since everything is fullscreen,
tabs would just duplicate the function of the window switcher. You
probably won't have *that* many apps open at once in a tablet anyway
compared to a desktop computer anyway.

> Why did they move the "button" bar to the bottom.  Down there is
> steals valuable screen real-estate from you.

It steals screen estate no matter where it is. The bottom-one is (again)
consistent with the rest of the device, and it is easier to reach with
fingers (remember the N810 has the keyboard so you hold it a bit
differently in your hands!)

You can also hide the whole toolbar if you want.

> Why is it that they split the adjust background color and font color
> into two different locations in the settings gui?

This is in the "we'll laugh over this when we are old" -category. ;)

> Why did they increase the steps to use the ctrl key in the button bar?
> Before to do cntrl-c it was 2 clicks one on cntrl one on c ... now
> it's 5.  cntrl - text box - c - ok - screen  during this time the
> keyboard closes 2 or 3 times.  This can make vi a real PITA too.

Because a lot of stuff works differently with the physical keyboard. And
because I have no clue if the input method works differently on the N800
with N810 OS release shoehorned into it? :-)

> Perhaps I'm just using the IT differently from most, I don't view it
> as sterility a muti-media toy.  To me it's my #1 tool for doing my
> job, so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive.  Sorry if I sound ranty I don't
> mean to be but I am wondering why so may drastic changes were made to
> a really good app.

The bottom line is: there is still the old one you can just rebuild for
os2008 if it hasnt been built yet, and use that. We just made a version
that could be shipped with the N810 for convenience.

Also, the source is in garage as osso-xterm, so go and tweak it to your
liking if you wish. I think all this "new" UI stuff is in the
"ui-rework"-branch.

//Tuomas