On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:41 +0000, ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 2:37 PM, Tuomas Kuosmanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > [...] (remember the N810 has the keyboard so you hold it a bit
> > differently in your hands!)
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Because a lot of stuff works differently with the physical keyboard. And
> > because I have no clue if the input method works differently on the N800
> > with N810 OS release shoehorned into it? :-)
>
> I recognise the smiley, but twice in one post you've mentioned UI
> decisions on OS2008 were primarily determined (or at least justified
> here) by the presence of the slideout physical keyboard on the N810.
> Yes, it's the shiny new device but isn't the N800 an equal partner in
> the Maemo landscape?

Developers are part of the testing crowd (which at the beginning is
focused especially on HW bugs, since they have the longest lead time and
must be fixed asap) and in cases like this, we tend to work mostly on
the newest hw, simply because we need as many people as possible to use
it.

In some cases, even if n810 seems to have the same features of n800, the
actual component might have changed sourcing or technology and needs to
be verified (usually the first hw revision of a new device comes with
several hw components in beta or alpha stage).

n810 has also a more refined mechanics and that too required testing and
stressing that can be provided only by having a large amount of people
using it.

(No, unfortunately we cannot accept externals for a tester program ;-)

The fact that something might be biased toward the new device is not
really intentional, just the byproduct of having a limited amount of
people and time.

That's part of the reason why the sw release for n800 was scheduled to
be available later: no n800 user must perceive the sw update as a step
back in terms of quality and performance.

Furthermore, having the new devices ready in shops on a certain day
means that way before we must have had a sw image deemed good enough for
being flashed during production. Once that is achieved, we can focus on
purely sw issues.

Deploying units in stores has a significantly slower process than
uploading the new sw image to the maemo servers.

You also have to consider that this is the 1st time we release and
support 1 sw for 2 products (the 770 HE came after the release of n800)
so the process is far from being mature.

This lenghty email is not meant to be a justification, it's just to
clarify some of the issues that have to be solved.

But stay assured that nobody is neglecting the quality of the n800
experience and, as a matter of fact, we did perform the same amount of
official tests (meaning run by System Testing) on both devices.

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)