On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 09:15:07PM -0600, Mark Haury wrote:
>    Kevin T. Neely wrote:
>
>  I'd love to be able to run office apps on my tablet, but might it not just
> be easier in situations like the above to use vnc or similar to connect to a
> desktop machine that can run these apps and viewers?
>

>    Not if the tablet is all you have with you, or a desktop machine with the
>    requisite apps isn't available or connectable via wireless, or you simply
>    *can't* take a larger machine with you, and the list goes on and on. When
>    I bought my tablet, I really was hoping it would be more of a laptop

I assume that the tablet has internet connectivity, b/c you mentioned dl'ing
the presentations on the fly.  In any case, it can almost always be connected
through your phone.

The other assumption is to leave home or office workstation on, with VNC server
(or equivalent) running.  Every windows machine (since XP) has remote desktop
built-in, so that is also an option.  With that running, just have the
appropriate ports forwarded on the router to the machine.

Perhaps not the ideal solution, but should be implementable (is that a word)
for just about anyone.  And, in any case, is easier than fooling around with
office for the tablet and worrying about its ability to convert a 12meg
powerpoint or complex spreadhsheet.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com