On Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:18:01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Gary Baribault wrote:
> > I kind of wish that someone would start up an oposing PIM .. Any takers?
> > 450$ to play Mahjong or Blocks seems a little steep!

I didn't start working on GPE because I thought it was a great project: I
started working on GPE because I had a need for a PIM on the Internet Tablet
and it seemed more sensible to start with an existing piece of software and
make improvements rather than create something from scratch.

It doesn't seem likely to me that starting an opposing PIM would help.  There
are few enough people to work on one -- what would be achieved by trying to
work on two?  All of people's pet peeves with GPE (bugs, UI, features) could
be fixed if there were one or two more developers with time to make a
contribution.

> I've certainly considered it -- but first I want to put together a sync
> mechanism that
>   * doesn't care how many places you sync with,
>   * doesn't care whether the places sync amongst each other.
>   * provides syntactic guarantees about merged updates.
> Such a sync mechanism I need for more things than an improved PIM.

Sync mechanisms are also something that seems to become much more complex than
one expects when one starts.  I would encourage you to contribute to
improving OpenSync if possible, rather than start yet another project.  If
nothing else, there are people on the OpenSync list who have tackled many of
these problems and who may have useful advice.  It is another project where a
usable product is in sight but there are not enough developer-hours to get
there at the speed we would wish.

Graham