On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> a) Oh boy another online registration!  And for Bugzilla!  Which is more
> > annoying, the missing features or the way of reporting them?  (trick
> > question, bugzilla of course).
> >
> See previous threads, not gonna start this one again.

Yeah, after 2 or 3 email round trips, I sacrificed my email address up again
on the net, muddled through confusing intro pages and finally got to a page
where I was invited to search, report, analyze and get statistical
observations on all bugs.

Sweet.

"This is where we put in lots of nifty words explaining all about Bugzilla."
> > indeed.
> >

> /me rolls his eyes.
> That would be the clever text that comes with Bugzilla.

It would be clever of developers to take a little time and make it look
homey, don'tcha think?  Make it seem like they're welcoming people to use
it?  Seriously, how long could that take?  When I set up trac a while back,
I made sure I put the basics in immediately, especially before I gave anyone
access.

> b) Ideas.  Not bugs.  Why a bug tracker...
> >
> It's really more of an issue tracker - if you registered you'd see there's
> a "Enhancement" priority.  In any case, it's a searchable, useable database
> rather than the freeform temporal storage that is email.

I did.  And like I said before, the developers can and should use any issue
tracker that suits their fancy.  I personally found it very nonintuitive and
frustrating to use.  Anyway, we've been through all this before.

There was a priority dropdown, which meant nothing to me, lots of
dev-specific code phrases (cool I can call this a blocker!), and version
numbers that mean absolutely nothing to me - as there's no version
information visible in the app (GPE 2.8 isn't in the list).  Plenty of
checkboxes that I clearly shouldn't touch... most of all a strong suspicion
that all this effort is for naught...  I just know I'll get an email a while
from now saying "We won't implement this feature because it changes the way
it works now"

The frustration for ME is not that this is new, it's that it's gotten
wearyingly old.  But through the eyes of someone to whom this is new... it's
frightening, confusing and there be dragons.  Even the button on the bottom
says "Commit"!  What's wrong with "Save"?

There I go again... and I'm not going to change the world, as much as I want
to.

What would REALLY help is a go-between.  Someone who knows and doesn't mind
the warts of Bugzilla.  Who can enter things quickly, easily and properly
and ask the user for more detail if necessary.  I'm going to join the GPE
list, too, I guess, to see if that helps. Maybe that user will be me, who
knows.  I still prefer if it was trac, though, and trac ain't perfect
either.