Le 2010-10-07 07:23, Olivier Méjean a écrit :
Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 13:00:21, Marc Paré a écrit :

I would challenge people to find a regular user who knew what the
"Backport" option was for, you may find some but clearly, they would be
in the minority. Otherwise, it would have been used quite extensively by
users. This is exactly what a user is usually interested in updating
his/her installation.

Backport was a media added for Mandriva 2007 in order to provide latest
versions of software. However, backport rpms were (and are) not officially
supported by Mandriva on the contrary of rpms in main (either /main/release or
/main/updates)

That make sense for a company based distribution to operate such a
discrimination, i am not sure that we have to follow such a way in a
community-driven distribution.

Olivier

I have to say though, that after having browsed through the Mdv2010.1 backports by hand, there is a lot, from a user point of view, that would interest users. All of the sexy upgrades to software are there.

I think it would be nice to keep as long as it didn't cause major problems with the installation. Maybe an option to "roll-back" a software update would be something to consider for users?

Marc