On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Sean Owen wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>       MAHOUT-165      Using better primitives hash for sparse vector for

>>> I will try to get to this, as I think it is important.
>>>

>> I agree with Jeff that the migration to a new framework is a big
>> change and should be left to 0.3. (Vote?) There is a whole lot of
>> change already, more than might normally go into a point release.
>> Since you have another blocker below, and limited time, I say don't
>> kill yourself to work on this. It's going to be hard to get it done in
>> a weekend.
>>

> I don't think it is that big.  We can likely just make another
> implementation of Vector.  We don't have to convert everything to Colt.

Ted's patch (since monkeyed with my you and myself) has the other
implementation of Vector, but testing showed it's slower?  This patch also
had  a significant refactoring of the Vector hierarchy so it's not just "a
new class".

I'm all for getting this in as soon as we can, because this issue (well,
finalizing on a linear api) pretty much blocks my donating decomposer to
Mahout, but it looks like you're the only one who feels strongly about
resolving M-165 for 0.2, Grant.

Can we not just have 0.3 in another 6-8 weeks or so which covers this?  What
Mahout user is getting blocked by having too-slow sparse vectors currently?

  -jake