On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, at 1:42 PM, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Christian Ehrhardt:
> > I was evaluating the Dependencies of mailman3 in Ubuntu and I was
> > wondering if I could cut them down a bit. One thing that got my
> > attention is the dependency from mailman3-web [1] to nodejs for less
> > [2] and ruby-sass [3].
> >
> > I was wondering if we could by default not install node-less/ruby-sass
> > and what exactly that would imply.

Hyperkitty uses Django-compressor. Now, I don't have as good knowledge of
Django-compressor to tell you if that can easily be removed as a dependency
completely.

However, I do know that Django-compressor can be used to compile offline (not
actively compressing when serving requests), so totally possible that a binary
release could include the compressed static files and there is no need for
compressors in a deployment environment.

I don't think I can explore that right now, so if someone wants to take it up
to search around and contribute changes and/or release script/set of commands
to release Hyperkitty which allows getting rid of sassc/lessc during runtime,
I'd me happy to accept that.

--
 thanks,
 Abhilash Raj (maxking)