On Mon, Mar 18, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Christian Ehrhardt (2019-03-15 06:39:08)

> > less is a reinvention of sass: It is often adaptable to sass with a
> > simple patch.
> >
> > Original sass processor was ruby-sass, but nowadays a better processor
> > is sassc.  Or if you want to integrated processing with Python then
> > python3-libsass which uses same core library for its processing.
> >
> > I have not looked closely on mailman3, but I highly doubt there is a
> > real need for dynamic processing of less/sass during runtime.
>
> Yeah I doubt that as well.
> In the meantime I also found [1] which seems to have come to the same
> conclusion for the majority of default setups.
> For upstream to disable it by default it was mentioned that there is a
> need for a customize kit which seems fine [1].
>
> There is a further argument to disable the live compressors, at least
> as I read COMPRESS_OFFLINE that seems helpful for production setups
> anyway to speed up and safe CPU load.
>
> So while upstream waits until a "customize kit" exists to switch
> defaults, as a downstream like Debian/Ubuntu I wonder if we already
> could:
> - drop sass/less compilers to a suggest
> - disable the live compression in the default config that we ship
> - keep the config commented-out to make it easy for admins that want
> to enable it later
> - pre-compress at build time and enable compress_offline for speed
>   - maybe call `django_admin compress` [3][4] or similar at build time?
>   - having sass/less as build dependencies seems much safer than
> pulling it in at runtime

+1 from me. It totally makes sense for any Mailman package to pre-compress
the static files and not depend on any of those compilers.

Upstream doesn't declare any dependencies on sass or less compilers, since
there is no way to do so, I don't think there is need to change anything except
settings.py.

--
  thanks,
  Abhilash Raj (maxking)