At 7:48 PM -0800 on 11/17/09, Mark Sapiro wrote:

I think the aliases together with the modified Moderate handler for
your list will be your DREAM SOLUTION. And this has the advantage that
while it is some work for the host to set up, it affects only your
list so thay can't say no solely on the grounds that it may have
unintended consequences for other customers.

Oh, and I forgot to ask about the "modified Moderate handler" (basically because I just now noticed - when my head doesn't immediately pick up on an idea, I skim past it). Since I didn't actually mention anything about modifying a handler in my request to my host, am I still missing a critical piece of the puzzle? I guess when the foo-list-mod email starts to work, it's still going to result in the same behavior as before... in that it will see the FROM address first, which will be a member with the mod flag set, and hold the post for approval.

*sigh*   LOL   *sigh*

So I need to ask them to install a custom handler for the foo-list (my) mailing list (and God willing, they'll understand what that means). I'll tell them to change:

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
    if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
        return
    # First of all, is the poster a member or not?
    for sender in msg.get_senders():
        if mlist.isMember(sender):
            break
    else:
        sender = None

to:

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
    if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
        return
    # First of all, is the poster a member or not?
    for sender in msg.get_senders(headers=(None,)):
        if mlist.isMember(sender):
            break
    else:
        sender = None

(i think just checking envelope sender is all I need since I'm the only one who will know about this email)(well, me and everyone on this mailing list ;))

I hope someone there knows how to do this, otherwise this has all been in vain.

Bill