On Aug 29, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I'm not arguing that if a distributor patches Mailman and changes core
> behavior to the point that it causes confusion for users and
> potentially sullies Mailman's reputation that it's fine and should be
> left alone.  Just trying to see what grounds on which you want the
> lawyers to complain.

If a vendor is changing where files are stored and nothing else, then I don't
think there's anything to complain about -- all code may need a certain amount
of customization to fit into a different filesystem structure.  I think that we
can account for those kinds of changes with nothing more than different sets of
parameters that go into the configuration file.

If they can share those kinds of changes with us, we may be able to incorporate
them into an upcoming version of the code we release, so that next time one of
their customers may be able to upgrade with a command that is basically just
"./configure; ./install; /path/to/mailmanctl restart".  That would be a
win-win-win scenario -- a win for the customer, a win for the vendor, and a win
for us.

However, if a vendor is changing underlying application functionality, that
would be something I would be much more concerned about.  If it's just keeping
the code from daemonizing when they do a "mailmanctl start", I think that's
something we could accommodate with a future version of our code -- and then we
can get back to that win-win-win scenario mentioned above.  If there's more to
it than that, then I would definitely be inclined to be much tougher in my
response.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>