On 2020-09-17 13:59, Christian F Buser wrote:
> I am in no way a programmer - but as I understand it, Python 2 can live
> alongside Python 3 without any problems.

Oh, indeed, it totally can.  And right now, it does, on two of my three
Linux boxes.  I've managed to get Python2 completely off the third, but
the other two still have dependencies on it.

> The EOL declaration for Python 2 does NOT mean that Python 2 will stop
> working on the date the publishers announced. There will just be no
> improvements. And as long as there are no obvious security holes in Python 2,
> it is absolutely not necessary to retire it on any machine.

I know it's not *necessary*.  But I consider it good hygiene not to use
EOL software.

> If you absolutely want to get rid of Python 2, either use Mailman 3, or
> another mailing list manager.

I'm planning to migrate to Mailman3 as soon as Gentoo stabilizes the
ebuild.  It's been a long wait, but stabilization is imminent at this point.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications