On 6/25/24 15:32, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
On 6/25/24 12:51, Jim Dory wrote:

2. SMTP: Reverse DNS doesn't match SMTP Banner (The SMTP banner issued by your email server did not contain the hostname we resolved for your server’s IP address.)

#2 - Reverse DNS - I have PTR records set for both compute.nkc.com (abbreviated) and nkc.com. So that could be a problem?

DNS is Evil. A host should not have more than one PTR because if it does, it's not clear which PTR will be returned by the nameserver. Ditto for A record, becasue teh one PTR can only match one of those -- but with something like unbound that doesn't support CNAMEs, you won't have much choice. And if you do have CNAMEs, the client has to do extra work to find the A and match it to the PTR -- if it cares.

I'm guessing they are flagging it because it *should* be playing nice and sending its A hostname that has a corresp. (one) PTR record, in the SMTP banner.

Dima

Thanks Dima,

I think our records are a mess, and I don't quite feel qualified to fix it. This mailing list started sometime mid 2000's and has gone thru changes that have followed us without being cleaned. We used to host the website nomekennelclub.com but they have since moved to a squarespace or somesuch server and we simply redirect to that page. I assume they get their mail services through that host, but in our records we have A records for things like webmail.nomekennelclub.com (nkc for short), mail.nkc.com, ftp.nkc.com, webdisk.nkc.com, whm.nkc.com, cpanel.nkc.com, autoconfig, autodiscover, cpcalendars, nomekennelclub.com, server, compute.nomekennelclub.com (an actual one), plus

we have A records for I think nameservers ns1 and ns2 which I don't think are being used.. in the message headers I see SE005.arandomserver.com and under mx lookups.

A couple of those A records, like cpanel may be used, not sure about the webmail one. I don't want to screw up the kennelclub if they are using it. I'll have to check, but I would like to start deleting some. Like the server one, from an older time.

As for PTR records, I'm still confused. We have 2, one for our new hostname: compute.nomekennelclub.com and for just the domain nomekennelclub.com . When I look at a header from mailing list post, I see both.

Not sure what this all tells me, I've removed some of it for a bit of brevity:

 for <nome-annou...@nomekennelclub.com>; Wed, 26 Jun 2024 09:48:42 -0700 (PDT)