> On Sep 3, 2015, at 11:11 AM, Brian Curry <bcu...@merkleinc.com> wrote:
>
> Agreed that legal action seems a bit extreme. I am taking the approach that
> Microsoft/Hotmail saw something that said spam was being sent and we need to
> work to correct this.
>
> I am taking an aggressive approach with the IP to pull way back and the
> recipients that are being sent and monitoring SNDS and complaints like crazy
> and in the last 5 months I just keep getting:
>
> We have reviewed your IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx) and determined that messages are
> being filtered (i.e. sent to the Junk folder) based on the recommendations of
> the SmartScreen
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/SmartScreen-Filter-frequently-asked-questions-IE9>®
>  Filter.
> Email filtering is based on many factors, but primarily it's due to mail
> content and recipient interaction with that mail.  Because of the proprietary
> nature of SmartScreen® and because SmartScreen® Filter technology is always
> adapting and learning more about what is and isn't unwanted mail, it is not
> possible for us to offer specific advice about improving your mail content.
> However, in general SmartScreen® Filter evaluates specific words or
> characteristics from each e-mail message and weights them, based on their
> likelihood to indicate that a message is unwanted or legitimate mail.
> Unfortunately, after reviewing the information you provided and in compliance
> with our mail policies, we are unable to offer immediate mitigation for your
> deliverability issue. However, we have some specific recommendations for you
> to consider that can help you to improve deliverability over time.
>
> Or:
>
> My name is xxxxx and I work with the Outlook.com Deliverability Support Team.
> We understand that you have additional questions regarding how to improve the
> content of your mail and, thereby, improve deliverability of your email to
> Outlook.com users.
> For your background, deliverability to a user's inbox is based on many
> factors including the reputation of the sending IP(s), the format of the mail
> and also user settings and preferences.
> After reviewing your case, I have some additional suggestions for you to
> consider that may assist you in the future with avoiding the deliverability
> issue you've been experiencing.
>
> Not looking for a miracle fix, but somewhere to have a real conversation to
> fix the issues for both sides.

We’ve done a lot of work with companies over the years and have found that
conversations are really not necessary to fix these kinds of delivery issues.
If you’ve been having ongoing problems, for months, then it’s likely there is
something with your address collection / permission / expectation setting
process and you need to look harder at your processes. There was also one case
where the problem was actually the sender wasn’t signed up for the FBL. Signed
up for it, and delivery issues were fixed.

While I don’t always agree with filtering decisions, my experience is that the
ISPs are generally unwilling to discuss specifics about a particular senders’
reputation. But, it is very possible to repair your reputation (and thus your
inbox delivery) without having the ISPs tell you “Do X, Do Y, Do Z.” We’ve been
doing it with clients for over a decade now.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  800 823-9674

Laura Atkins