On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:01 AM, Ian Eiloart <i...@sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> > On 14 Dec 2015, at 08:06, David Hofstee <da...@mailplus.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I am not confusing them. That would be weird.
> >
> > I am saying, to Brandon FWIW, that their users may be a little bit like
> our customers (ie often not technical).
>
> But Brandon works for Google. The subject of this thread is "Delivery to
> Gmail". It isn’t about his customers, and it isn’t about emails to end
> users at all. It’s about how Google respond with an SMTP reject, in the
> SMTP conversation, to a particular temporary DNS error. Some of us would
> prefer that they used a defer instead.

This thread is now 30+ messages long, it diverged from the start by a bit,
and has discussed a few different things all related to bounces.

And we probably bounce/reject more mail from ourselves to ourselves than we
reject to anyone else (especially if you don't count spammers).  And,
improving bounce messages to email users in general is a useful thing to
do.  And there is a complicated balancing act between 4xx and 5xx responses
having to do with the likelihood of later success and what gets the problem
fixed the quickest, etc.

Brandon