Hi Ian,

So ESP parlance, 'a particular manner of speaking', is not RFC parlance. That
part is true. We have to explain our customers, who are not techies, what is
going on with their mails. We either say that the mail is delivered or bounced
(=did not arrive in ESP parlance). And if it bounced, it is either a softbounce
or a hardbounce. There is nothing 'soft' about softbounces. It only means that
the email address is not 'removed' of his list. That only happens after a
series of successive softbounces or 1 hardbounce. Simple, but different.

So anything that has to do with queueing (defer-rals, sometimes generating a
delay notification) is basically ignored. My customers do not care about
queuing mechanisms. I do care but I monitor that in a different way (and will
take action when necessary).

Anything that has to do with an email not arriving (a reject or time-out) will
create a non-delivery notification/bounce. Those bounces are
classified/translated into a hardbounce or a softbounce. E.g. a hardbounce
could be 'account does not exist' and a softbounce could be 'account over
quota' (and 28 other various reasons).

>If the ESP is good, the the sender will have access to a support team, so all
>faults should be actionable.
Some mails will never arrive and there is nothing we (or our customer) can do
about it. It is therefore not actionable. That would be 0.35% of our mails on
average.

There are larger issues, that are actionable by us, but these are flagged by
other means. We either solve that for our customers or inform them of the issue
and what they can do. That does not happen very often. This is what they pay
for.

Hope this clarifies it a little. Yours sincerely,

David