I did a survey of iconography and words for different mail ui's several
years back, and i think hotmail and yahoo used the same iconography, one
for spam the other for trash.  The desire to use "junk" in place of spam is
probably partially to blame, as well.

ahh, from 2011, here, it was Apple Mail and Outlook that were opposite:
Evolution uses the red circle as trash, and crumbled paper as "junk", which
seems backwards myself.

Thunderbird uses an X for trash, and a trash can with a green "no entry"
circle for junk, which again doesn't seem that clear.

Apple Mail uses the red no entry for trash, and I can't tell if its a
shopping bag or garbage can with a green recycle logo and letters poking
out the top.

Outlook appears to use the opposite from Apple Mail, a recycle garbage can
for trash, and a folder or envelope with a red no entry symbol.

Hotmail is an black X for delete and a red X on envelope for junk (with the
words next to it)

Yahoo mail is a trash can for trash, and a flaming envelope for junk (with
words next to it)