From: mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 3:20 PM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Cc: rob.gold...@astutium.com
Subject: Re: [mailop] LOUDMOUTHS WANTED!! ICANN WHOIS Replacement Work URGENT
IMPORTANT ACTION NEEDED

In article
<099901d2a4e5$b44bfab0$1ce3f010$@astutium.com<mailto:099901d2a4e5$b44bfab0$1ce3f010$@astutium.com>>
 you write:

>> PLEASE JOIN THE ICANN GROUP and help us fight back against people who

>> are fighting in favour of crime.

>Utter bovine droppings.

>No-one on the ICANN RDS/PDP WG is fighting in favour of "crime".

Thanks for this illustration of the head-in-the-sand attitude of too many of
the ICANN crowd that imagine themselves to be privacy fighters.

The reality is that the vast majority of domain registrations are made by
businesses with no reasonable expectation of privacy.  The reality is also that
WHOIS, imperfect though it is, is a vital tool that investigators use in
dealing with phishing, malware distribution, and other crime that attacks real
Internet users every day.  This is not a guess; I personally know people who do
this for a living, some of whom are on this very mailing list.  We all are in
favor of protecting the personal information of actual human beings, but not of
the other 98% of non-human registrants, a depressingly large number of whom
register names for criminal purposes.

The anti-WHOIS crowd desperately doesn't want you to know this, or to admit to
themselves that the practical effect of what they want is very much pro-crime,
so you can expect plenty of bluster in response.

R's,

John

PS:

>Is that referring to the possibility that companies who make their

>business parsing/trawling/storing whois data may not be able to sell

>the ~150 million registrant names/addresses/phone-numbers/emails for their own
>commercial gain on one suggested gated-access methodology ?

Since you asked, no.  See what I mean by bluster?

FYI, although the current ICANN agreements allow for bulk sale of WHOIS info,
every registrar I've ever talked to, including most of the biggest, say that
nobody's ever asked for it and there are no such sales.

mailop@mailop.org<mailto:mailop@mailop.org>

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fchilli.nosignal.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmailop&data=02%7C01%7Cmichael.wise%40microsoft.com%7C577f3194c37446c3abaf08d473050ddd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636259912924238534&sdata=simwqlkeHhKjgNr2v2gidaRszeG%2B5FaiP9GbiGuekMs%3D&reserved=0