I agree with Mike on this one.  Yes WHOISd does need a replacement, and I was
thinking that’s what RDAP was about.
Getting rid of it entirely makes absolutely no sense, and will probably have
many repercussions like everyone here has noted…
I have no problems with private registrations, they should be listed to a
company that can handle government/abuse requests like any other registrar. I
would also want sub accounts, ie resellers to be listed for the sake of sanity,
which I think was proposed earlier as well.

No clue where the whole idea of ditching it all together came from, but seems a
bit bizarre to anyone dealing with operations.