From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Luis E. Muñoz via mailop
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:18 AM
To: MailOp <mailop@mailop.org>
Subject: Re: [mailop] Do we need Spam folders?

On 14 Oct 2019, at 9:29, Chris Wedgwood via mailop wrote:

as things stand today, i think we do

technology has gotten very good but it's not perfect; sometimes spam
isn't detected, and sometimes real messages are detected as spam

I would rather have the email bounce during SMTP transaction. At least that
way, the sender knows that the recipient won't get the message. Otherwise, the
message will sit unread for 14 days before being auto-deleted with nobody ever
looking at it.

Not having spam folders also nails the "I moved this bazillion emails into the
<misleading-word> folder because I don't want them anymore".

Unfortunately, the user moving messages in and out of spam folders is a useful
signal for the mailbox providers. I wonder if using the \Spam flag would be a
better option. Allowing the MUA to control presentation altogether.

Best regards

-lem