On 14.10.19 23:59, Luis E. Muñoz via mailop wrote:
> This is not a pure performance issue. It's more a matter of not having
> the data at hand to decide whether the message is ham or spam. To do so,
> filters need user feedback.

You can still have feedback if you don't move emails to a spam folder
and rely on a user checking that regularly.

Recipients can still mark email as spam or explicitely allow mails from
specific senders.

And senders learn if there are problems with their delivery and can
either fix that or ask the user to allow them.

Either type of mail wouldn't just get lost in a spam folder that way.

> Protocol-wise, what is a sender supposed to do with a post-DATA
> rejection? Is that rejection associated to one of the RFC-5321 RCPT TOs?
> All of them? None, because it's actually a content issue? What if the
> policies for each recipient differ?

He is supposed to handle it like any other rejection too?

Doesn't "550 Requested action not taken: We don't like you." apply after
DATA?

> MTAs know how to deal with a post-RCPT rejection. A post-DATA is an
> entirely different thing.

MTAs should be able to handle rejections at all stages. Which doesn't?

> There's also the option of sending a NDR after accepting the message,
> which is undesirable for a plethora of other reasons.

That's why I suggested to not accept an email like that at all.

I am also not a fan of "unread mails can still be taken out of the users
mailbox". I wouldn't want my postman to fish mail out of my letterbox
just because he thinks my neighbour didn't like it, so I won't either.

Regards,
Thomas Walter

--
Thomas Walter