Luis E. Muñoz via mailop wrote:

On 14 Oct 2019, at 9:29, Chris Wedgwood via mailop wrote:

    as things stand today, i think we do

    technology has gotten very good but it's not perfect; sometimes spam
    isn't detected, and sometimes real messages are detected as spam

I would rather have the email bounce during SMTP transaction. At least that way, the sender knows that the recipient won't get the message. Otherwise, the message will sit unread for 14 days before being auto-deleted with nobody ever looking at it.

Not having spam folders also nails the "I moved this bazillion emails into the <misleading-word> folder because I don't want them anymore".

Unfortunately, the user moving messages in and out of spam folders is a useful signal for the mailbox providers. I wonder if using the \Spam flag would be a better option. Allowing the MUA to control presentation altogether.

Worse when they (the receiver) silently discards them... user checks the spamfolder and their inbox and the sender thinks it all went through and the email is never seen despite people looking for it and wanting it.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/