Hi all,

we received few automated abuse reports from Simply.com.

The abuse report is an email from "Simply.com abuse team <
abuse-rep...@robot.simply.com>"
with subject "Abuse report for #IPredacted# (#Providername# / #ASNUMBER#)"

> Hi
>
> This is a complaint regarding spam received from #IPredacted# /
#hostredacted#.
> Mail originating from this IP, has actively been marked as spam/junk by
the receiver.

> We ask that you take immediate action against the offending IP-address.
>
> For forensic purposes, the offending email is attached to this mail
(along with other
> report > formats). Below are some key headers from the mail:
>
> Date: #redacted#
> From: <#redacted#>
>
> #IPredacted# has received degraded delivery-reputation as a result of the
report.

In one case the message terminated with a

> For good meassure, the List-Unsubscribe URL in the mail has already been
triggered by us.

The "weird" things are 2:

1) at least 2 abuses have been sent also to the abuse desk of a different
datacenter from the one from which the email have been sent. I'm not sure
but it seems they got in touch with the abuse desk of the datacenter
hosting the website connected to the return-path of the email (not even
it's MX, but the IN A, but maybe something else, I only have a couple of
sample to make my guess).
2) one of the abuses was reporting the transactional email confirming to
the recipient his unsubscription was completed, but the unsubscription have
been triggered programmatically by them: I guess that their user that
didn't unsubscribe from the email is surprised by the "unsubscription
confirmation" and report it as abusive.

I checked the logs and sounds like they automatically did a GET request to
the List-Unsubscribe url and the a POST request to the List-Unsubscribe url
via the "List-Unsubscribe-Post" protocol we support. I understand the ratio
of a similar behaviour but I was not expecting the list-unsubscribe or the
list-unsubscribe-post could be triggered without the recipient asking
explicitly from unsubscription.

Of course their server their rules, but I'd like to know if other abuse
desks started receiving this kind of automated simply.com reports and
what's your opinion about this practice.

In the end for (still under investigation) 2 emails sent to their users we
received like 8 abuse reports, some directly, some through the abusedesks
of our datacenter, some for the original email and some more for the
unsubscription confirmation email, so I'm guessing if your abuse desks are
flooded by this or there's something so bad about those 2 emails (again,
under investigation, I can't tell by looking at the content and I'm waiting
for answers from the sender).

Sounds like this kind of automation belongs to FBL streams, but I'm here to
hear your opinions!

Stefano

--
Stefano Bagnara