------ Original Message ------
From: "MRob via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>
To: mailop@mailop.org
Sent: 4/30/2021 11:18:49 PM
Subject: [mailop] Haraka status? Exim the only choice? (v Postfix)

Hi --
I used Postfix along time but my experience is that it is incredible difficult to
implement custom logic especially across the different binaries/processes it uses to
fulfil a mail delivery transaction. Its designed in the "unix philosophy" and
has good performance - great but Postfix devs normally react hostile if asked for
advanced features that require tracking meta-information about messages across Postfix
processes. Its only the RFC compliant mail message state that persisting through the
entire transaction, nothing more. Milters can be injected but have limitations and I get
headaches from the configuration system. I shouldn't complain too hard tho, because I'm
grateful for how solid and secure and bulletproof it has been. Thank you team Postfix.

But I want more power and customization not only generic mailserver.

I heard of Haraka a time ago and I see it is still maintained, but there seems no public archive of
mailing list (website for years now has said "We are working on providing list archives")
and when I last tried to subscribe, list was broken!!! I asked on irc and they said approx "oh
it's broken? meh, thats not so important, cuz Haraka just works, if it doesn't just ask on irc. we
update Haraka once in a while when we find something wrong". Obviously this was a red flag.

Anyone using Haraka? Anyone trust Haraka?

That mean Exim is the only real choice? It was a good laughing from this recent
mailop post about Exim vulnerability and I see Exim gets regular
vulnerabilities.
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailop@mailop.org/msg12993.html

But it look like Exim have infinite customization possibility which should help
me. I guessing that one must accept more vulnerabilities for having more power
flexibility that Exim gives.

Can I ask what are mailop's opinions about Exim? Thanks you!

When I had time to spend on the mail server as a dedicated admin I used Exim. I was initially attracted by the extreme thoroughness of the documentation. You can insert a lot of logic right into the config file....it's been a number of years but I'm pretty sure I could put PERL code directly into the config file. I only used that ability once, but it was a life saver when I needed it.

I have no real complaint with Postfix either. It's included with almost every Linux distribution, so in this day and age when I rely on the package maintainer to do the right thing for me I'm going to be using Postfix. I hate to say it, but email is now a tertiary function of Internet Service providers. It generates no revenue, so it gets minimal attention. If I *could* give it 100% attention, then I'd 100% use Exim.