on Sat, May 01, 2021 at 03:18:49AM +0000, MRob via mailop wrote:
> Can I ask what are mailop's opinions about Exim? Thanks you!

I'm a dinosaur who at one point had 15K lines of custom m4 code in my
sendmail setup (I removed a few thousand a few years back for various
reasons), and am still running it because it Just Works, so take any of
this with a massive grain of salt, but I've also looked at some 97%+ of
IPv4 and can tell you that AFAICT the only people actually running Exim
are on cPanel shared webhosting servers, and the folks who wrote it in
the first place at Cambridge. This despite claims that it's the most
popular MTA on the Internet with a 60% market share[1]. This is not to
denigrate Exim, just to suggest that its userbase probably isn't even
really aware that they're running Exim and configures what they need to
configure via some Web hosting management console.

Postfix in my experience is solid, and has lots of knobs to tweak, but
if you need something special, such as say, blocking mail from the idiot
with infinite Gmail accounts having common Vietnamese surnames in them
who keeps trying to sell t-shirts to your role accounts, you're out of
luck. I know, you can write a policy daemon, but I haven't had much luck
with that, for various performance-based reasons which may no longer be
applicable many years on. (I ran Postfix for a year as a trial and had
a lukewarm response to it.)

For context, I run a project called Enemieslist which has reduced the
PTR naming conventions for much of IPv4 down to regular expressions with
classifications of assignment type (static, dynamic) and other special
subclasses like NATs, resnets, shared and dedicated webhosts, etc. The
idea being that you ought to be able to set policy regarding where
you're blocking or accepting and/or quarantining mail from based on such
factors, though it's been applied in a wider variety of ways than we
first imagined, it's the darling of big data scientists.

We made the dataset queriable via a patch to rbldnsd over fifteen years
ago, and our original users wanted to include checks against the mirrors
in their MTAs, which included Exim, Postfix, qpsmtpd, ecelerity, and
obviously sendmail, as well as SpamAssassin. Vincent wrote some custom
code to integrate into Cloudmark as well. So we have some old contrib
policy daemons for postfix, config info for Exim, an SA plugin, and
various other forms of custom integration. The common aspect to all was
that they could query our DNSBL with the PTR of the connecting host and
then implement some policy based on the result (eg, block dynamic,
quarantine generic static, etc.) Exim could do this via configuration;
Postfix required a policy daemon, the others required custom plugins or
modules or as with sendmail, custom rulesets.

Of the 149424 patterns we have for known outbound mail servers and
server farms, only 4003 are known to run Exim. Of the 68266 shared
webhost patterns, 21260 run cPanel and therefore are also running Exim
by default. Postfix is on at least 17395 of those surveyed, by
comparison. These are based on banner scans, which you can obviously
configure to obscure the software make and model but that's a baseline
for you. I'd say go with whatever MTA has the most active development
and support community, if you don't already have a lot invested in
customization and configuration of your current MTA.

We did a banner survey of the edu space some fifteen years ago and found
that a ridiculous proportion of them were running Barracuda boxes, like
80% or so, but this was back when you couldn't walk through an airport
without seeing a Barracuda advertisement on the wall; I suspect things
have changed since then. Proofpoint seems to have surged ahead.

I know that sendmail rulesets have been compared to modem line noise and
Mr. Dithers' cursing, and can attest to the fact that writing them is
far more satisfying than reading them, but you have almost infinite
customization capacity if you can stand it. I once mentioned to a friend
(who used to write for sendmail.net when that was a thing) that you
could probably fit all of the people with as much experience writing
sendmail rulesets as I had into a Volvo station wagon, and his reply was
"you could fit more if you pulped them first", so don't take this as a
recommendation for sendmail; I'll eventually have to give up on it and
surrender to whatever the vox populi says I need to use.

As for Haraka, I haven't followed it closely but know Matt to be a solid
coder; the impression I got when he was writing it was that it was on a
lark to see if he could write an RFC-compliant SMTP server in
Javascript. I think the quote was "that's why there are weekends".
Having written a lot of JS code over the years, including an entire
library and book on how to use it to produce Web-based GUIs, I was
amazed that it actually worked. I've only ever seen 11 hosts that were
actually running it.

HTH,
Steve

[1] http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.202102/mxsurvey.html