On 2021-10-07 1:11 p.m., Simon Arlott via mailop wrote:
On 06/10/2021 02:15, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:
Generally speaking, outside of the obvious differences, most of our spam
rules are agnostic to IPv4/IPv6.

The frustrating problem with Google's treatment of IPv6 is that the
"must have reverse DNS" requirement means it will return a 5xx permanent
error for a temporary DNS resolution failure, and reverse DNS typically
involves multiple nameserver delegations with no glue so it's never 100%
reliable.

Twenty years ago it was frustrating to some people that IPv4 Email servers needed rDNS. (I get your point on the 5xx though)

It of course should depend on WHY no reverse DNS was found. If there is no authourative server for that IP it should get a different response than if the authourative name server is down, or if it doesn't have an entry for that IP Address.

(I wasn't going to get into this thread but.. )

Of course, network engineers sometimes see things as 'simple' when to the average lay administrator might not find it so. Yes, they can learn, but do they want to?

Sometimes we just make things more complicated for people, and those people see very little benefit, so you have to understand WHY things aren't adopted..

And, while I said tongue in cheek, turn off IPv6, I meant for some people if they don't want to deal with the extra 'burden' (no flame war please) of the realities of IPv6, then hey.. you don't have to use it.

(And as one poster said, they only use SPF because Google requires it; the sheer volume of people that have trouble with SPF is staggering, let alone DKIM, DMARC [and on and on] should make engineers carefully think before telling people they have to do things the 'correct way')

For instance, there are 109,915,135 IPv4 addresses on just RATS-NOPTR (thankfully many ISPs actually block port 25 on egress), just imagine how big that table would be for IPv6?)

Everything from DNS, IP Reputation, firewalls, IS more difficult in IPv6, maybe not for you, but for some people.. please, give them a break when they prefer not to wade in that pool.

The internet SHOULD be free and open.. we need more people running their own networks, and mail servers.. we have to make sure that the world doesn't turn into network silo's.

(oh, and friends don't let friends use 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8 for DNS)

As another poster pointed out, that is the danger of putting all the eggs in one basket.

Now, back to something more on topic..

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend to all my Canadian peeps..
Quick recap of the state of affairs out there..

* Thankfully, Snow Shoe spammers are having a hard time finding new fresh IP Space.. but still active at some of the familiar hosting companies.. Only about 10 new ranges per day, most of it by the same group..

* Digital Ocean dedicated phishing droplets keep getting stood up at a ridiculous pace

* Amazon/Google/Azure IPs keep being used for BEC at an unabated pace

* Gmail Spam still represents most of what content filters are catching

* Brazil is still off the hook for spam bots (Please block port 25 on egress)

* MagicMail 5.0 hit Beta..

* Shanghai UCloud spammer volumes steadily increasing.

* Love this one on Azure IP space..

20.50.38.18                       1   mta0-2.ungapped.email
   20.50.38.19                    1   mta0-3.ungapped.email
20.76.58.160                      1   mta4-0.ungapped.email
   20.76.58.161                   1   mta4-1.ungapped.email
   20.76.58.162                   1   mta4-2.ungapped.email
   20.76.58.163                   1   mta4-3.ungapped.email

(Nice to see the domain is on Google ;) 404

Hypothetical question for you, if all the spammers and malware actors were kicked off OVH and Digital Ocean, would their stock valuation still be so ridiculously high?

Talk to you the other side of a big plate of turkey.. Stay safe, you know how the bad guys love long weekends.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."