The final Received header (ie, the first one) is the time at which the
message reached the
gmail account mailbox.  It looks like we did take 18s for that, which is
slower than normal.

Delays to the clients are interesting and complicated, I do imagine that
"refresh" for what
that's worth is supposed to poll the mailbox directly... especially mobile
clients can have
various delays on purpose, as notifications and wakeups get coalesced and
delayed to
reduce the number of wakeups of the device and the radio in order to reduce
power
usage.  If you have the app open, however, it should be pretty short,
assuming you
have good connectivity.

The example in the web page from 2020 is an actual delay in delivery, no
real way
to know now why that delay occurred.  We do sometimes explicitly take
longer to
deliver messages depending on their content, and sometimes our systems are
just busy.

We do monitor our delivery pipeline and have internal objectives for
delivery performance,
like I'm sure everyone else does.  Generally speaking, there is no expected
performance
difference between forwarded email and regular email.

Brandon