> On 12 Oct 2021, at 07:19, John via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Matt,
>
> The answer is yes, it's not good practice to block messages containing long
> lines in emails. That will likely cause problems at either the sender or
> recipient. Senders may receive non-delivery notifications, recipients may
> miss mails.
>
> RFC5322 (2008) advises to handle long lines at least up to 998 characters.
> However, there is no pressing technical need to filter. The 1000 character
> rule appeared in rfc821 (1982), probably because it was believed that it was
> a good idea to limit the format to the capacity of hardware and software at
> the time. We've moved on, systems have sufficient memory and mail readers
> have been smart enough to wrap long lines for a long time already.

Indeed.  There were a lot of fixed limitations at the time, and that was at
least in part due to common use of language constructs such as Pascal’s readln
which took a fixed limit based on the size of the declared array.  Dynamic
arrays were not yet a thing, as I recall.  Having written some of that code for
TOPS-20, I just imagine how badly it would behave in today’s world.

There are still reasons to be a bit concerned if you see lines greater than the
limit, the biggest of which is if someone is attempting to exercise a parser,
either yours or someone else’s down the line.  I doubt such an attack would
succeed today, but who knows?

Eliot