On 12/10/2021 06:19, John via mailop wrote:
> The answer is yes, it's not good practice to block messages containing long
> lines in emails. That will likely cause problems at either the sender or
> recipient. Senders may receive non-delivery notifications, recipients may
> miss mails.
>
> RFC5322 (2008) advises to handle long lines at least up to 998 characters.
> However, there is no pressing technical need to filter. The 1000 character
> rule appeared in rfc821 (1982), probably because it was believed that it was
> a good idea to limit the format to the capacity of hardware and software at
> the time. We've moved on, systems have sufficient memory and mail readers
> have been smart enough to wrap long lines for a long time already.

Exim has a fixed limit of 16384 bytes per line when doing DKIM operations
and version 4.95 now has a default limit of 998 bytes on the (outgoing)
smtp transport. I'd like to fix the DKIM code but it's currently easier
to just recompile with significantly increased limits.

I think Debian still have a default limit of 998 bytes for Exim on
incoming email.

--
Simon Arlott