You are correct, the data maintainer and the company sending out emails is
often not the same. What you’re missing in this is that there may not be a
direct contractual relationship between one and the other. In the commercial
space there can be, and often are, multiple layers of company between the
entity creating and sending the message and the company managing the SMTP
service.

A few years ago I worked with a small company (who aren’t so small anymore,
they’re a pretty big player now). They had a platform that let marketing
agencies provide services to clients. The platform went out through another
ESP.

In this case, the company collecting email addresses may have been the agency
or the customer of the agency. The emails were commissioned by the customer of
the agency. The emails were created by the agency. The emails were sent through
the ESP. The ESP has no relationship with the agency or the agency customer -
their only relationship was with my client. My client had no relationship with
the customer of the agency - their relationships were with the agency and the
ESP. The agencies had no relationship with the actual SMTP server
administrator.

This isn’t that uncommon a setup where there’s multiple layers of ownership and
contracts and the relationships are complicated. I’ve worked with multiple
companies in this situation - usually because they run into delivery problems
and need someone to come in and set up some process to manage abuse.

In the above case, with the reports going back to the SMTP server administrator
they are limited in their ability to take action. They can’t remove the user or
block future email because they are only the API system and don’t have access
to the underlying list. They can send the report to their customer who may or
may not be able to unsubscribe / block mail to the complainer. The customer can
then send the report to the agency who (typically) ignores it because they have
no idea what to do with it. Maybe the customer can cut off the agency, but if
the agency has dozens of clients, is that fair to the clients who aren’t
spamming?

Wrapping all of this are legal contracts and lawyers who are doing their best
to protect the individual business entity.

So, yes, you’re absolutely right in that it’s complicated. But often sending to
the SMTP server administrator isn’t sufficient. The SMTP server administrator
has no way to address the problem directly. All they can do is pass the
complaint on to their customer who is also not the emailing domain owner.

laura

Having an Email Crisis?  800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise