> On 18 Jan 2022, at 02:32, Scott Mutter via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 6:06 PM Grant Taylor via mailop <mailop@mailop.org
> <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:
> Why can't automated and manual reports go to the same address?  Isn't
> that what recipient side filtering is for?  E.g. separating RFC standard
> DSNs / MDNs from human generated messages, each handled by different teams.
>
> My problem with FBLs is that I have to know to sign up for FBLs.
> Conversely, mailbox operators can probably more easily send push
> notifications to published addresses, whatever the industry accepted
> method is.
>

> I keep going back to the AOL Feedback Loop of yesteryear.  I didn't actually
> READ every message in that mailbox.  But I could run a script through a
> procmail recipe to increment counts by IP that AOL was sending back to that
> FBL.  So that when an IP got 10 or so messages within a certain period it
> would alert me at another email address that I watched.

The AOL FBL worked the way it did for a number of reasons. The big one is
because AOL controlled the MUA. They managed the actions behind the “this is
spam” button, and thus they could send mail when it was pushed.

When the provider doesn’t control the MUA they can’t provide the same FBL that
AOL did because they do not have the ability to identify when the user clicks
the TiS button.

> Gmail and Yahoo all base their feedback loops on DomainKeys or something,
> it's not IP based.  I know Comcast and some of the other ReturnPath customers
> have feedback loops, but traffic on those are low too.

Right, because in most cases the provider doesn’t control the MUA.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  800 823-9674

Laura Atkins