Having run smallish mail servers for about four decades, the oppressors
have won "mostly" for me. This week/end I am migrating my partner's
single-person firm's domain to Google Workspace. This thread is topical,
interesting, and hilarious to skim. Indeed, as I sat down to write this I
received "Everything you need for work – right in Gmail" from Workspace.
Not!

The first migration (RadiaSoft) happened over a year ago, and I'm
relatively happy I did it although one of my co-workers is getting PTSD
from Google Drive's weird behavior on her Macbook. I cannot migrate all my
domains, e.g. the one I'm sending this from, but I probably would.

Laura, did you notice the To line in the email to which I am replying is
"Bill Cole via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>". While I really enjoyed your
message(s), I think this is the crux of the problem(s) with "computers
these days". Why does mailop mail sometimes take hours to get to me? Why
was the certificate on the website broken for so long? Is it still? Where
is my message going to go when I see "Bill Cole via mail op" in my MUA? Why
does visiting https://mazda.com result in Forbidden? Inquiring minds would
like to know. Or maybe it's just me and my pedant for little details like
that.

Why migrate a tiny domain? Spam. She's a real estate agent and her address
is public and in lots of people's address books. Spam, spam, spam. I try to
filter it with tools like Spamassissin, Postgrey, "sleep 8", and so on. I
gave up running an MUA years ago. I tell people to use Gmail, perhaps
that's wrong, but it's kind of what people did in the day with tiny
domains. Zoho had such a bad email reputation that I had to migrate
RadiaSoft off it on to our own servers. I certainly couldn't recommend
ad-infested MUAs like Yahoo. Gmail seemed like a good thing, and they
weren't as evil back then.

It's funny to me that people are saying "Google is just monetizing". Not as
such. More like an anarcho-syndicalist commune or the Ben & Jerry's of the
Internet. They didn't invent ad-monetized search (or ice cream). They make
money off it, and more power to them. Yet the rest of their stuff seems
like unmanaged chaos.

For the uninitiated, you cannot convert f...@gmail.com to foo.com to
Workspace without some effort. Mail can be migrated relatively easily.
Drive cannot be migrated to Drive according to Google. Fun tidbit: Drive
allows two files with exactly the same name. Oh, and you can have two
YouTube channels with the same name. Rilly?

You can migrate Drive thanks to Rclone <https://rclone.org>. Though, it
took me most of the day to figure out how to get Google's Service Accounts
to work. Mail migration is only about 35 clicks and is running, but it is
going to take a week for one account, which of course is
embarrassingly parallel, so it shouldn't. Yesterday, in under an hour, I
migrated an entire site from my current colo to Linode with 100GB+
transactional SQL and files. Why is Drive to Drive not just a few clicks
like mail? It's even less complicated.

At one point this weekend, my lovely partner said "maybe I should just use
f...@gmail.com. Everybody has a gmail address, it's normal." This after
years spending time SEOing (more oppression) her own domain. Needless to
say I nearly tore my hair out at that point. She had been complaining
about having to "pop" her mail into Gmail account from her laptop (not
possible on the phone) manually for years, which finally prompted the
migration (along with a colo failure, below). She thought it was Google's
business plan to make it so difficult to switch from free to fee that she
wanted to go back to free and destroy her decade worth of brand building.
Gardners do it, which shouldn't she?

As 6p was approaching, she asked "are you going to be able to switch
gears?" Fortunately, I got a successful directory listing from rclone, and
I was ready to have dinner with friends. If I had not figured it out,
dinner would have been ruined by me talking with one of the people about
his experience with GCP and Service Accounts. As they were leaving, he
mentioned the colo failure (wait for it) and I talked about the migration
to Linode, and he said "What's Linode?" He assumed the world ran on AWS,
Azure, and reluctantly GCP. "How do they make money?" Another dimension to
this "oppression".

I am being oppressed by my one-data-center colo right now, which was down
for TWO DAYS a couple of weeks ago. I've been oppressed into this migration
to Linode and another DC, because they not only didn't keep their network
up for two days but failed miserably to let their customers know what was
going on. I still don't know, and I don't care.

One of my co-workers who is early career is helping with the colo-part of
the migration. He has never worked in a DC nor really done much with server
hardware. He's a serverless-cloud kinda person. He said to me the other
day, "I was thinking about you carrying a pager back in the day, and I
realized that I don't want to do that." More power to him, frankly. When my
"pager" was going off at all hours two weeks ago over network failures I
could not control, and I was getting hate mail from people who still use
AOL, Hotmail, and Qwest addresses, I would have been happy to hand off the
baton.

20 years ago I helped start what is now Validity. George Bilbrey at the
time said, "delivery assurance is a two year, $2M business". I'm happy for
him that it didn't turn out that way. (And, Laura, at the time, I had to
convince Paul Graham to remove Assurance Systems from his How To Spam page
so I relate to your current struggles.)

25 years ago, Bob Lucky wrote Bozos on the Bus
<http://www.boblucky.com/reflect/july96.htm>:

*Being bozos, we are relegated to the role of mere passengers in the back
of a bus that is speeding recklessly towards somewhere or other. The bus is
being driven by someone up front whom we can't quite see, and worse yet,
we're not even sure where the destination is supposed to be.*

Paul, I respect you. I encourage you to stand up for your values in a world
where I feel completely disoriented on a nearly daily basis.

Off to the colo...

Rob