I've noticed though that if you don't have _both_ SPF and DKIM, you risk
getting routed to the spam folder, and/or getting the scary yellow "Be
careful with this message" warning.

Several users have reported this and I've seen it myself with a couple of
messages to my gmail from my website. Still troubleshooting, and it's not
happening consistently, but a missing DKIM in "show original" seems to be
the common factor.